|When you want to state an opinion:
- In my opinion____
- I think that_____
- I feel that______
- I believe that______
- It seems to me that________
- If you ask me_____
- I’d say that_______
- The point is________
- As I see it_______
- I’d say that______
- Wouldn’t you say that_______?
- Don’t you agree that_______?
- I’d just like to say that______
- I’d like to point out that_______
|When you want someone to repeat or explain:
- I don’t get what you mean
- I’m sorry, but I didn’t get your point.
- Could you give an example?
- What do you mean (by_____)?
|When you want to agree with someone:
- I think so, too
- I agree with you
- You could be right
- I couldn’t agree more
- That’s a good point
- I see what you mean
- That’s just what I was thinking
- I agree entirely
- You know, that’s exactly what I think
|When you want to disagree with someone:
- Yes, but_____
- I disagree
- I can’t agree with you there
- Up to a point, yes, but________
- Yes, that’s quite true, but_____
- I’m not sure I quite agree
- Well, you have a point there, but_____
- I see what you mean, but________
- I tend to disagree with you there
|Informal disagreement (between people you know very well):
- You can’t be serious!!
- Come off it!
- That’s ridiculous!
|When you want to persuade someone:
- You must admit that___
- Do you really believe that_____?
- Don’t you think that______?
- Don’t you agree that____?
When you want to interrupt someone:
- Sorry, can I just say…
- Sorry, can I jump in here?
- I just wanted to add…
- Sorry to interrupt, but…
When you want to bide time:
- Hmm, good question.
- Let me think about that for a moment.
- I’ve never thought about that before.
- I’ve not given that much thought.
- Well, …
Downloadable version: Debate language.